April 18, 2018
Not solely is the yellow shade of the sauce on this walleye recipe stunning, it additionally packs a punch in taste and aroma. Recent elements comparable to lemongrass, ginger, shallot, garlic, chilies, fish sauce and lime juice are common in Thai and Malaysian cooking, excellent for flavoring gentle freshwater fish comparable to walleye, crappie, bluegill and catfish. This paste additionally works properly with white-fleshed saltwater fish, comparable to snapper and rockfish.
If you would like to pair this meal with wine, attempt a sweeter white wine comparable to Riesling or Gewürztraminer.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Prepare dinner time: half-hour
- 4 boneless walleye fillets
- 4 lemongrass stalks, decrease components solely
- 2 inches contemporary ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 shallots, halved
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon Sambol Oelek chili paste
- 2 teaspoons floor turmeric
- 2 tablespoons Asian fish sauce
- 1 lime, juiced
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Freshly floor black pepper, to style
- 3 tablespoons mild coconut milk
- Freshly chopped cilantro
- Salt, to style
- 4 servings cooked white rice
- Peel off discolored, powerful outer layers of lemongrass. Reduce off the powerful root finish and discard. Slice decrease a part of lemongrass stalks into smaller items, and place them in a meals processor together with ginger, shallots, garlic, Sambol Oelek chili paste, turmeric, fish sauce, lime juice, floor pepper and vegetable oil. Pulse to get elements as clean as potential – the lemongrass received’t break down simply, so it’s okay if it’s a bit of tough.
- Preheat oven to 350 levels. Switch paste to a saucepan or small skillet and switch warmth to medium low. Sauté the paste to permit the elements to barely soften, grow to be fragrant and barely scale back right into a thick paste, about 5 minutes. Put aside to chill utterly.
- Rinse walleye fillets underneath chilly water and pat dry with paper towels. Reduce a big sufficient piece of foil to kind a packet and lay it onto a cookie sheet. Lay walleye fillets onto the foil in a single layer, and evenly unfold the cooled lemongrass paste over the fish. Shake the coconut milk can properly earlier than opening, drizzle coconut milk over the fish, and fold the foil right into a packet. Bake fish in a preheated 350 diploma oven for quarter-hour or till fish is cooked by means of. Sprinkle chopped cilantro over fish. Serve instantly with cooked rice and further salt (if wanted).
About This Walleye with Lemongrass and Turmeric Recipe
I grew up consuming a variation of this dish, besides the fish was saved entire, scored, marinated within the paste in a single day, after which pan seared till the pores and skin grew to become crispy. The entire fish was then served household model, the place everybody across the dinner desk would decide at it to eat with rice. Vietnamese home-cooked meals tended to be closely salted. It allowed households to stretch their protein additional, whereas filling up on rice or bread.
As a result of most American anglers fillet and pores and skin their fish, I discovered that baking the fillets within the oven works finest for adapting this childhood favourite. The coconut milk helps steam the fish, holding it moist within the foil packet and making a sauce. Baking additionally prevents you from having to deal with the fragile fish an excessive amount of, serving to to maintain it intact from cookie sheet to plate.